Suitable for: Years 9-10
Prerequisites: Poetry for Beginners OR Literary Techniques (one-day crash course)
Duration: 2 hours a for 10 days; 20 hours total
You're great at writing essays, are you? What about speeches? What about narratives? What about reflection statements? In this course we will revise and refine our essay-writing skills and develop our skills in other forms of writing. We will analyse some great essays, speeches, and reflection statements, and learn how to achieve the same level of greatness in our own writing.
Student Writing Outcomes:
- Essay introductions, body paragraphs, and conclusions based on texts the students have read
- Full essays based on texts the students have read, including essays comparing two or more texts
- Full speeches based on techniques and structures found in notable speeches from history
- Creative writing in response to a stimulus
- Reflection statements based on students’ own creative writing.
Student Learning Objectives:
- Reviewing and redrafting analytical and creative writing
- Structuring essays and creative writing
- Taking notes which can easily be converted into analytical essays
- Refining exam skills for essay and creative writing
- Giving feedback about peers’ writing
- Editing and re-drafting after peer and tutor feedback.