Suitable for: Years 8-10; Year 7 (Terms 2-4 only)
Duration: 2 hours a week for 8 weeks; 16 hours total
This course is for new term-time students who wish to join Shakespeare Academy, but have been unable to attend the prerequisite school holiday courses. We introduce you to all the essentials of studying and writing about English: literary techniques, analysing poetry and prose, and essays. Once students have completed this course, they can join any of our other regular term-time courses appropriate for their year group.
Student Writing Outcomes:
- Tropes and schemes according to the techniques handout;
- Opinion pieces on the texts studied;
- Analytical paragraphs based on texts studied in class; and
- Partial and full essays based on texts studied in class.
Student Learning Objectives:
- Exploring the fundamentals of English literary studies;
- Learning a comprehensive list of prosody, tropes, and schemes;
- Understanding the importance of context, form, and authorship;
- Analysing a range of poetry and prose fiction;
- Considering the basics of essay writing; and
- Having the tools to write about literature in opinion pieces and essays.