Common Module: The Merchant of Venice
Suitable for: Years 11-12 | Duration: 3 hours a day for 3 days; 9 hours total
The Merchant of Venice offers two paths to salvation: you can either marry someone rich or convert to Christianity. Shakespeare Academy has an easier option: The Merchant of Venice Boot Camp! In this course students will compile and refine their notes, which they will then use to answer a range of essay questions about The Merchant of Venice.
This course prepares for the HSC Advanced English Paper 1, Section II.
Student Writing Outcomes:
- Introductions, body paragraphs, and conclusions based on The Merchant of Venice;
- Full essays answering a range of essay questions.
Student Learning Objectives:
- Reviewing and redrafting essays;
- Compiling and reviewing notes;
- Analysing a play within its context;
- Responding to literary scholarship and incorporating its ideas into analytical writing;
- Evaluating The Merchant of Venice within the framework of the HSC module ‘Texts and Human Experiences’; and
- Practising skills required to excel in the HSC Advanced English exam of Paper 1, Section II (both for the Trials and the final HSC).