Suitable for: Years 11-12 | Duration: 3 hours a day for 3 days; 9 hours total
Prepare to become your own Big Brother as you put every essay, note, and thought you have about Orwell’s novel under strict surveillance. In this course students will compile and refine their notes, which they will then use to answer a range of essay questions about Nineteen Eighty-Four. By the end of the course, the predictable greatness of your essays will make even the Inner Party proud.
This course prepares for the HSC Advanced English Paper 1, Section II.
Student Writing Outcomes:
- Introductions, body paragraphs, and conclusions based on Nineteen Eighty-Four; and
- Full essays answering a range of essay questions
Student Learning Objectives:
- Reviewing and redrafting essays;
- Compiling and reviewing notes;
- Analysing a play within its context;
- Responding to literary scholarship and incorporating its ideas into analytical writing;
- Evaluating Nineteen Eighty-Four within the framework of the HSC module ‘Texts and Human Experiences’; and
- Practising skills required to excel in the HSC Advanced English exam of Paper 1, Section II (both for the Trials and the final HSC).